- Thu 27 Jan 2011, 10:00am @ Canaan Downs, Takaka
- Fri 28 Jan 2011, 12:00am @ Canaan Downs, Takaka
- Sat 29 Jan 2011, 12:00am @ Canaan Downs, Takaka
- Sun 30 Jan 2011, 12:00am @ Canaan Downs, Takaka
- Mon 31 Jan 2011, 12:00am @ Canaan Downs, Takaka
- Tue 1 Feb 2011, 12:00am @ Canaan Downs, Takaka
- Music: Trance, Techno, Tech House, Roots, Reggae, Psy Trance, Progressive, Minimal, House, Hip Hop, Funk, Experimental, Electro, Dubstep, Dub, Drum and Bass, Deep House, Breaks
- DJs: tba
- Bands: tba
- Tickets: $135 Early Bird until 5th Nov, $165 Mid-Summer Special, $185 Standard pre sale, $85 Teen ticket (14-17 yrs), Free to children 13 and under. Buy tickets from Cosmic Corner, GB Organics (Takaka), Everyman Recs (Nelson), Flurmo (Mot), Eventfinder (On-line)
Luminate 2011 is an earth friendly festival of music, art, dance, creativity and sustainability, delivering an impressive program of live & electronic music, inspirational workshops, cultural activities, and groundbreaking environmental initiatives.
Returning for its fourth year at Canaan Downs, Luminate 2011 is an earth friendly festival of music, art, dance, creativity and sustainability, renowned for delivering an impressive program of live & electronic music, inspirational workshops, cultural activities, and groundbreaking environmental initiatives. Celebrate the ancient summer harvest festival of Lughnasadgh, midway between the summer solstice and autumn equinox.
Featuring a world class line-up of performers from Aotearoa/New Zealand and overseas, Luminate takes you on a five day journey through a diverse range of live music and contemporary electronic genres: World Grooves, Reggae, Roots, Funk, Gypsy, Folk, Psychedelic Trance, Minimal Techno, Progressive, Breaks, Dub Step, Glitch, Dub, Drum & Bass, House, Electro, Ambient, Tribal rhythms and more...Get amped on the two crankin’ dancefloors, get primal with the drums of the Tribal zone, take it horizontal in the Chillout Lounge, or bring an instrument and join in the fun in the Acoustic jam space.
Luminate also offers an extensive range of inspirational workshops on sustainable living and other holistic topics (Dance & movement, African drumming, Poi & Juggling, Mayan Calendar, Yoga, Kirtan (mantras), Meditation, Harakeke, Permaculture, Ecology, Poetry, Music production, Creativity techniques, Compassionate Communication, Sacred Geometry, and many more);
an alternative healing zone (Therapeutic Massage, Craniosacral work, Shiatsu, Reflexology, Naturopathy, Flower Essences, Reiki, Chakra Balancing and more);
the Flaming Jugglepoitoy zone (with fire performers at night & circus skills workshops by day),
plus;enlightening movies & documentaries, organic food and refreshments, arts, crafts & market stalls, kids activities, magical energy and great vibes...all set 2000ft up an epic quartz crystal and limestone mountain surrounded by native bush, at the iconic location of Canaan Downs.
Luminate is a Clean Environment event. There will be no rubbish bins or recycling on site! Be prepared to pack out what you bring in and leave no trace. Bring your own plate and cup for the food stalls. There will be a composting area for biodegradeables. The festival site layout and art installations have been designed using natural materials, re-used resources and sacred geometry.
Other facilities include free water, spacious camping, solar showers, eco-toilets and other earth-friendly amenities. Luminate is a family friendly and non-alcohol event. Dogs are not permitted.
Admission price to the festival includes entry to all workshops, music, performance and activities, one week’s camping and access to amenities.
Gates open 10am on Thurs 27th Jan, music continues for 24hrs a day until 10am Tues 1st Feb. Workshops are scheduled each day from 8am - 8pm.
Early Bird Tickets are out now until 5th November.
Teen Tickets (14- 17yrs) are also available at less than half the price of a standard adult ticket (for admission, proof of age/photo I.D. is required, and all Teens must be accompanied by an adult guardian).
Children 13 and under gain free admission.
Taking place over Nelson anniversary weekend, Luminate is a charitable, community-focussed event organised by Luminate Festival Educational and Spiritual Trust whose aims include:
• Developing awareness and facilitating education of environmentally sustainable practices
• Providing the opportunity for people to participate in and gain a wider appreciation of traditional and contemporary arts and culture
• Empowering people with the knowledge and confidence to take responsibility for the reality that we are all co-creating, including preserving our natural resources
• Encouraging people to improve their spiritual, mental and physical well being
• Strengthening community networks, and helping empower people with skills and knowledge to improve their quality of life
Get involved: We are currently taking submissions from workshop facilitators, fire & circus performers, food/refreshments & market goods traders, healers, and skilled volunteers for specific crew positions. Music applications are due to close at the end of October.
Check out the website http://www.luminatefestival.co.nz for more info, and join the mailing list to be in on special deals.
Keep up to date with all things Luminating at the festival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Luminate-Festival/222222276674
LUMINATE: to spread light, elevate spiritual consciousness, put a smile on your face, festival of music, art, dance, creativity and sustainability.